Massa Marittima

Just 26 km from Agriturismo Pagiano, Massa Marittima is one of the most beautiful towns in Tuscany.

Massa Marittima has been awarded an Orange Flag by the Italian Touring Club and is one of the most important tourist destinations in the Maremma.


  • Cathedral of San Cerbone: built in the 12th century, it’s the most famous church in Massa Marittima, a beautiful building in Romanesque style. Inside are some amazing works of art, including 11 statues of prophets and saints, dating back to the mid-1300s, a fresco depicting the Crucifixion accompanied by San Cerbone and San Bernardino da Siena, an Annunciation by Raphael Vanni from the 1600s and a Majesty painted by Duccio di Buoninsegna in 1316.
  • Church and Convent of San Pietro all’Orto: dating back to 1197, it’s one of the oldest churches in Massa Marittima, today home to the Terziere Città Nuova and the Organ Museum of Santa Cecilia, while the adjoining convent houses the Museum of Sacred Art and the Angiolino Martini Exhibition Centre of Contemporary Art.
  • Church of Sant’Agostino: dating back to 1299, this is a splendid Gothic style building. Inside you can admire some Baroque style paintings, a Visione di San Guglielmo by Antonio Nasini and an Annunciation by Jacopo Chimenti of 1614.
  • Palazzo Comunale: a travertine stone building located in Piazza Garibaldi, this palace brings together two towers of different eras, the Torre del Bargello dating back to 1200 and a second tower from 1334. The central body was built in the 14th century and is in the Gothic style. Inside the palace, you’ll find the Chapel of the Priors, dating back to 1525, famous for numerous frescoes attributed to Bartolomeo Neroni
  • Palazzo del Podestà: also known as Palazzo Pretorio, was built in 1225 and was the residence of the podestà or commissioners, captains of justice and vicars. On the façade are the coats of arms of the podestà and captains of justice who governed Massa Marittima, and the coats of arms of the city of Siena
  • City Wall: originally built in the 12th century, the walls were enlarged and modified by the Sienese in the 14th century. They include 7 access gates: Porta San Bernardino, Porta Eleonora, Porta San Rocco, Porta San Francesco, Porta alle Silici, Porta dell’Abbondanza and Porta al Salnitro
  • Torre del Candeliere: dating back to 1228 and built under the Pisan Podestà Tedice Malabarba, it joins the Cassero Senese
  • Cassero Senese: a fort dating back to 1337 and commissioned by master Angelo di Ventura