At about 39km from Agriturismo Pagiano, Follonica is a beautiful town and seaside resort.
The beaches of Follonica are among the most beautiful in Tuscany and help to make the city one of the most important tourist destinations in the region.
Follonica is also one of the most beautiful and interesting towns in terms of art history, with numerous historic buildings.
WHAT TO SEE IN FOLLONICA:
- Church of San Leopoldo: the most important church in Follonica and one of the most prestigious historical and artistic buildings in Tuscany. Built according to the wishes of the Grand Duke Leopold II of Lorraine in 1836, the project was designed by architects Alessandro Manetti and Carlo Reishammer. The church is in a neoclassical style and features interesting decorative elements made from cast iron. Inside is a statue of St. John the Baptist in white marble dating back to 1841 by Nencini, a painting of the Madonna del Soccorso and a Madonna and Child made out of cast iron.
- Ex Factories: a city-factory founded by the Grand Duke Leopoldo II of Lorraine for the processing of minerals from Elba Island. Among the most important monuments: a water tank from the 16th century, a monumental cast iron gate from 1831, a turret-style house that doubled as the iron foundry, Condotta House, the Hydroelectric Station, Foundry 1 dating back to 1918, Foundry 2, dating back to 1834 and now home to the Fonderia Leopolda Theatre, the Ringrane Furnaces, from 1853, the Forno di San Ferdinando, built out of a 15th century mill, the Palazzina del Direttore, from 1822, the Palazzina dell’Ospedale from 1838, the Palazzina dell’Osteria e Dispensa, from 1651, the Clock Tower, the Palazzo del Forno Quadro, from 1578, today a library, the Palazzo Granducale and the Torre Idraulica
- Casa del Popolo: originally known as the Casa del Fascio, it was built in 1922 in neoclassical style with Art Nouveau elements. It was the seat of the Fascist party and today houses the civic art gallery
- Casa Gobba: dating back to 1581, it was a warehouse for iron and today houses the maritime office.
- Casa Storta: built between 1745 and 1777, it served as a mining office and alum storeroom
- Palazzo della Cartiera: housed the paper production for the Maremman Industries in 1926